If you're looking to get an idea of what your corn yields are while you're scouting, FarmQA has a pre-built corn yield estimator question that can be added to your scouting report templates. The only inputs that you'll need to get a corn yield estimate are the width and length of an ear of corn, the number of ears counted per 1/1000th of an acre, and the number of kernels counted in a bushel of corn. Check out the article below to learn how to setup a scouting template question with and how to use the corn yield estimator in FarmQA.
Settings up a corn yield estimator question
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app.
- Click the Scouting icon on the left-hand side of the screen, then click on the Templates tab at the top of the screen.
- Select your template for scouting corn, or any other template you would like the question added to (pictured below).
- Check out this article for more general details on editing scouting templates.
- Locate the section you would like to add the corn yield estimator question to. Additionally, it can be added to a new section by clicking the Add a section button.
- Click the add question button and select Corn yield estimator (pictured below).
- NOTE: if you do not see this option, it is because you do not have corn as a crop within your crop list.
- You can create multiple yield estimator questions to accommodate doing multiple assessments in a field. Make sure to give each assessment a unique name (pictured below).
- Click the Save button to save the changes to your template in the top-right hand side of the screen when complete.
Entering the corn yield estimator inputs
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the scouting app.
- Locate and tap on a corn field to scout and add an observation.
- See this article for basic instructions on how to add an observation in the FarmQA mobile app.
- Locate the corn yield estimator question in your template and click on an assessment to enter values (pictured below).
- NOTE: if you're not seeing the question, you may not be synced up with your account. To sync your app, go to Settings and click Sync Now .
- NOTE: the corn yield estimator template will populate three ear observations for Ear Width and Ear Length in each assessment. Ear Width and Ear Length for these three ears will be averaged in the final report by default. More or less ears can be manually added or deleted as necessary with the Add and Delete buttons respectively.
Corn yield estimator output
- If you would like a single average value across all yield estimates, you'll need to input a single observation location. For example, in the report below you see one value is reported for each assessment done in the field.
- Export the report to PDF and see the calculations per location along with an average for the field.