Any map-based data layer that is meaningful to you can be uploaded and displayed on the FarmQA Scouting app or within FarmQA Controller. If you have multiple data layers uploaded in a field, you can toggle between which layer you want displayed in Scouting, and your location will be displayed superimposed on the layer. This could be useful viewing a plant population map while doing stand counts in the field. See the instructions below for more details
Defining map layer types
The first step to adding map layers is to define your layer types.
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app.
- Next click on Settings icon, then navigate to the Map Layers tab (see below).
- Fill in the layer details as they are depicted in the picture below.
- Name: This would be they type of layer. In this case, we're uploading soil series data for a series of farms.
- Description (optional): This is where you can describe what type of data should be uploaded to this layer.
- Layer types:
- Permanent: This would be a layer that doesn't change over time, like a soil zone map
- Growing season: Layers that are applied season to season, like annual rainfall or crop yields
- Time-based: Use this for data layers that will change often over time, like NDVI
- Press the "Save" icon in the upper right-hand corner once you have completed these steps.
Uploading Map layers
The second step is to upload the file per field. This step can be done from Field Details page of the Map tab.
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app if you aren't already.
- Locate and select a field that associates to the map layer you are looking to upload.
- NOTE: if the layer is time-based, make sure you have the correct growing season selected in the top right-hand corner.
- Next click Add layer
- On the next screen (see below) click the category for which the layer should upload, then click the Upload button to locate the file. Files can also be dragged into the window to be uploaded.
- Note: the accepted file formats are Shapefile (.Shp, .Shx, .dbf), KML/KMZ, and GeoTiff files. Files must also be uploaded in a zipped folder.
To continue the process of setting up your map layer, follow these instructions.
Please contact FarmQA Support with any further questions