You have to ability to create new scouting templates within your FarmQA account to help with your field scouting. In this article, we'll walk you through how to make a new scouting template, as well as cover the variety of question types you can load into your templates.
Creating a New Scouting Template
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app.
- Click on the Scouting icon on the left-hand side of the screen, then navigate to the Templates tab.
- Next click the Add new scouting template icon in the bottom right-hand corner to add a new scouting template (pictured below).
- Start the process of setting up your template by assigning it a name in the Scouting template name box under the TEMPLATE INFORMATION header.
- Click the Add a section button to add a section to your template.
- Sections are used to group together questions that relate to similar topics. For example, your template might have sections for questions relating to Disease and Insect observations.
- Give your section a name once you've added it (pictured below).
- Select the +Add a question option below your section to add a question to your template.
- Questions can be categorized as one of the following types:
Question Types: Number
Users input a numeric observation in Scouting using a sliding bar. The range of values and the number of decimal places that can be used are set in the Template Designer. Observations will have to be input using the slider unless if the maximum value is set above 100. For example, a numeric question with a max value of 101 will result in the numeric input requiring input using a text box.
Question Types: Text
Users input a text observation in field for the question. Checking the box next to the Show multiple lines option allow for more than one line of text to be displayed for observations input in the Scouting app. This is a good option if users are inputting lengthy answers for observations.
Question Types: Picklist
Users select one answer out of a set of preloaded answers, normally displaying a range of potential observations. Select the + Add a value option below the Picklist values header to add potential answers to question. Clicking the Edit or Delete buttons will allow you to change or delete a picklist value, respectively.
Question Types: Date
Users input a date as an observation. This option is good if you're trying to track crop emergence or the date at which a certain crop growing stage is achieved.
Question Types: Group Questions
Multiple questions are stored under one question so they can be answered as a group. Questions within the group question can be any of the types that have been previously discussed. For more details on group questions, check out this document.
Calculated Questions: Plant Population
Inputs for the plant population question are the row spacing for the field, the length of row you scouted, and the number of plants you counted in that section of row. When setting up the question, you can have the units be set for imperial or metric.
Calculated Questions: Corn Yield Estimator
The Corn Yield Estimator is a specific type of group question that can be added from the +Add a question dropdown menu. The Corn Yield Estimator question can be used to rapidly assess corn yields in field by inputting metrics like ear width, ear length, ear count, and kernels per bushel. Learn more about using the Corn Yield Estimator by following these instructions.
Calculated Question: Grape Yield Estimator
The grape yield estimator question can only be added to templates in enterprises that have grapes setup as a crop. Inputs for the grape yield question are the number of producing vines per acre, the average number of clusters per vine, and the average cluster weight at harvest.
Setting Default Scouting Values
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app if you aren't already.
- Next click on the Scouting icon, then navigate to the Templates tab.
- Select the template you wish to edit (pictured below).
- Within the template designer, click on a section and question that you would like to add a default value to.
- At the bottom of the right pane, you will see the ability to toggle on default values for any question (pictured below).
- NOTE: default values are available for all types of questions, except for date questions.
- Click the default toggle option on, then use the box provided below to input the content you want as the default.
- Save the template to complete the process.
More tips for setting up questions in your scouting template
- Checking the Allow scouts to draw on map box in the QUESTION DETAILS section will give users the ability to add a drawing to exported field map relating to their observations in this question.
- You can copy questions that you've already added to save time in making your template. To copy a question, select the question you want to copy and then click the Duplicate question button (pictured below). A copy of the question will populate below the first one, and you will be able to rename it.
- After you have finished creating your template make sure to save your work by pressing the Save icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. You can then assign it to crops within growing season. For more information on template assignment, see this article.
Please contact FarmQA Support with any further questions