Creating a zone map from soils data
Creating a zone map from soils data
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app.
- Click on the Soil icon, then go to the Samples tab.
- Click on the field you want to create a zone map for, then click the Create management zone button at the top of the screen (pictured below).
- Complete the following steps to setup your management zone map:
- Give the management zone map you're making a Name.
- Add a Description to your management zone map if you'd like to.
- Use the Nutrient dropdown menu to choose a soil property to base your management zone map off of.
- Toggle on the Show labels option to have your management zone labels shown within your management zone map when it's done.
- Use the Clustering Algorithm dropdown menu to choose the method you use to create your management zone map. Here are brief descriptions of how each algorithm creates your map:
- Equal Interval: Creates bins that equally divide the range of all values and then places data points into bins according their value.
- Quantiles: Orders the data by value and then places them into bins such that each bin has the same number of items.
- Natural Breaks: Groups data points such that the difference between the values across groups is maximized while the difference between values within the group is minimized.
- Custom: Manually define the value ranges used to group data points by providing the largest value allowed within each group. Data points outside of the bounds of all groups will be constrained to the outer groups.
- Input the Minimum polygon size (ac) you want each management zone to be in acres. Setting a minimum polygon size of one acre might make it easier for your applicators to complete your recommendations.
- Set the Number of zones you want created in your field.
- Use the Colors dropdown menu to choose how you want to color your management zones. You can toggle on the Invert option to reverse the order of colors used to color your managment zones.
- Click the Preview button at the bottom of the Create management zone window to see what your management zone map will look like.
- When previewing your management zone map, you can make a few edits to optimize your map:
- Set a Minimum polygon size (ac) for your management zones.
- Change the color ramp used to color your management zones by using the Colors dropdown.
- Adjust the ranges used to draw your management zones by changing the higher value for each zone under the Cluster groups header. Doing so will change the clustering algorithm to Custom.
- Add a management zone to your map.
- If you're happy with your management zone map, click on the Save button at the bottom of the Create management zone window. You can also click Save as profile to use the parameters you've just set to create management zone maps for other fields based off of this soil property.
Write a prescription based off of a management zone map
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app if you haven't already.
- In the Map tab, locate and click on the field you want to write a prescription for.
- In the slide out map pane, click on Zones, locate the zone map you want use, then click the Create prescription button (pictured below).
- In the Specify attributes window, put in the name of the attribute you're using to create your prescription. This will correspond with the soil property you used to create the management zone map.
- Click the Next button (pictured below).
- In the Specify the values for each zone window, fill in each textbox with the values you want associated with each of your zones.
- Click the Download button to download a shapefile of your prescription based off of your management zone map (pictured below).
Please contact FarmQA Support with any further questions
Please sign in to leave a comment.