Being able to repeatedly scout the same location in a field is critical to collecting meaningful agronomic data. We understand that this is a significant part of a lot of operations, which is why we've incorporated geomarker layers for your soil sampling, general scouting, and insect trap locations. These geomarker layers are easy to use and setup. Check out the article below to learn more about geomarker layer functionality in the FarmQA web and mobile apps.
Adding geomarkers from the FarmQA web app
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app.
- In the Map tab, click on the slide out map pane.
- Under the POINTS header, click on the Edit icon next to geomarker layer you want to add geomarker points to (pictured below).
- Drag a folder with your zipped point shapefiles into the Edit pins window. You can also click on the window and browse your computer to find your point files (pictured below).
- Click on the Use shape file attributes as pin name dropdown menu to set the names for your geomarkers. Also, if your geomarkers are in the wrong location, you can click the Move existing points button to drag them to where they need to be (pictured below).
- Click the blue Upload button to finish uploading your geomarkers (pictured below).
- Preset geomarkers all have a unique icon associated with them. Insect trap locations (pictured below) are denoted by the icon, soil sample locations are denoted by the icon, and scouting locations are denoted by the icon. Clicking on the location will also give you latitude and longitude coordinates of the geomarker in question.
Adding geomarkers from the FarmQA mobile app
- Log into your FarmQA account from the mobile app.
- Find a field you want to add a geomarker to from either the MAP or FIELDS tab.
- Click on the spot in the field where you want to add your geomarker pin. In the field edit window, click on Drop pin at location .
- Select your desired geomarker type, then enter the Pin name/ID and Pin description. This information will then be associated with that geomarker (pictured below).
- When you're done, click the SAVE PIN button. Your pin will then be added to your desired points layer.
Accessing geomarker layers from the FarmQA mobile app
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the mobile app.
- Make sure that your app is synced up with your account by going to Settings and clicking the Sync now button.
- Once your app is synced up, click on the field in the MAP view and drag up on the bottom menu. Check the box next to the geomarker layer you want to access to view those associated geomarkers. In the picture below, you'll see how to turn on the Insect trap locations map layer in the FarmQA app.
- You can also view multiple geomarker layers at the same time. For example, you can view grasshopper observations you made near an insect trap like in the picture below.
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app if you aren't already yet.
- In the slide-out map pane, turn on the geomarker layer you want to delete geomarkers from under the POINTS header.
- Find the geomarker you want to delete and click on the point. In the window that pops up, click on the Delete icon to delete the point (pictured below).
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app if you aren't already.
- Click on the Settings icon, then go to the Markers tab.
- Click on the geomarker layer you want to download points for, then click on the Download button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen (pictured below).
- Your geomarkers will download as a zipped folder containing a .shp, .shx, and .dbf file. All of these files need to remain in the zipped folder to have your shapefile work.
Please contact FarmQA Support with any further questions