Being able to repeatedly scout the same location in a field is critical to collecting meaningful agronomic data. We understand that this is a significant part of a lot of operations, which is why we've incorporated geomarker layers for your soil sampling, general scouting, and insect trap locations. These geomarker layers are easy to use and setup. Check out the article below to learn more about geomarker layer functionality in the FarmQA web and mobile apps.
Adding geomarkers from the FarmQA web app
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app.
- In the Map tab, click on the slide out map pane.
- Under the MARKERS header, click on the Edit icon next to geomarker layer you want to add geomarkers to (pictured below).
- In the Edit makers pane, drag a folder with your point shapefile into the window. You can also click on the window and browse your computer to find your point files (pictured below).
- Click on the Use shape file attributes as pin name dropdown menu to set the names for your geomarkers. Also, if your geomarkers are in the wrong location, you can click the Move existing points button to drag them to where they need to be (pictured below).
- Click the blue Upload button to finish uploading your geomarkers (pictured below).
- Preset geomarkers all have a unique icon associated with them. Insect trap locations (pictured below) are denoted by the icon, soil sample locations are denoted by the icon, and scouting locations are denoted by the icon. Clicking on the location will also give you latitude and longitude coordinates of the geomarker in question.
Adding geomarkers from the FarmQA mobile app
- Log into your FarmQA account from the mobile app.
- Find a field you want to add a geomarker to from either the MAP or FIELDS tab.
- Click on the spot in the field where you want to add your geomarker pin. In the field edit window, click on Drop pin at location .
- Select your desired geomarker type, then enter the Marker name/ID and Marker description. This information will then be associated with that geomarker (pictured below).
- When you're done, click the SAVE MARKER button. Your pin will then be added to your desired marker layer.
Accessing geomarker layers from the FarmQA mobile app
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the mobile app.
- Make sure that your app is synced up with your account by going to Settings and clicking the Sync now button.
- Once your app is synced up, click on the field in the MAP view and click on the Layers button. You'll then be able to turn on your desired geomarker layer (pictured below).
- You can also view multiple geomarker layers at the same time by checking any number of boxes next to your marker layers (pictured below).
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app if you aren't already yet.
- In the slide-out map pane, turn on the geomarker layer you want to delete geomarkers from under the MARKERS header.
- Find the geomarker you want to delete and click on the point. In the window that pops up, click on the Delete icon to delete the point (pictured below).
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app if you aren't already.
- Click on the Settings icon, then go to the Markers tab.
- Click on the geomarker layer you want to download points for, then click on the Download button above the geomarker information (pictured below).
- Your geomarker layer will be downloaded as a zipped folder containing a .shp, .shx, and .dbf file. All of these files need to remain in the zipped folder to have your shapefile work.
Export markers from an individual field
- Log in to your FarmQA account from the web app if you haven't already.
- Click on the Soil page then click on the field you want to export markers from in the Samples tab.
- Make sure you've selected the Samples list option to display your soil samples (pictured below).
- Use the Columns dropdown menu to add the Latitude and Longitude columns will be included in your table (pictured below).
- Click the Excel button to export your samples to a spreadsheet. This can then be used to map your soil sample locations in any mapping software.