FarmQA map layers can be used to manually upload imagery from Sentinel Hub. This is a free source for Sentinel and Landsat data which can be exported to a format that is accepted by FarmQA Map Layers. Below you will find steps on how to create an account and export data. See the instructions below for more details.
If you would like a fully integrated, paid, imagery source see this article on the FarmQA Planet integration. Or contact FarmQA Support for more details
Creating a Sentinel Hub Account (Free)
- Go to https://www.sentinel-hub.com/ and click "sign in" at the top-right hand corner
- Click "don't have an account yet" and follow the step to create an account. (see below)
- After the account is created finalize the process by accepting the verification email. Then login to the portal (link above).
- Within the Sentinel Hub you will want to navigate to the EO Browser. Do so by clicking on this link.
- Or from Sentinel Hub click on "explore"->EO Browser->scroll down and click "start exploring!"
Locating and exporting data out of Sentinel hub-EO Browser
- Within the EO Browser (you should see the screen below) do the following:
- Search your general location in the top right to center the map
- Select the "discover" tab in the top-left (this should be highlighted by default)
- Click the "Sentinel-2" option as your data source (you can select others if you would like)
- Optional- Click advanced search and set a cloud cover percentage
- Optional- Adjust the time range at the bottom of the left pane, the default is one month.
- Scroll to the bottom of the left pane and click "search"
- Next locate an image that matches what you are looking for in the left-hand pane (see below). Know that you can also easily toggle between dates in the later steps.
- Next add or draw a field you want imagery for. This can be done by clicking the draw tool in the top right-hand corner (see below). At this point you can either manually draw (pencil) or upload a file.
- Additionally on this screen you can select which index you want to view (True color, NDVI, Moisture index etc.)
- This is also where you can easily toggle between imagery dates in the top-left
- With the field created and the proper date found, click the download button in the middle of the right-hand menu (see below)
- NOTE- without a field boundary drawn you cannot export
- Complete the export process by doing the following
- Click on "Analytical"
- Set image format to KMZ/PNG (without this FarmQA cannot accept the file)
- Image resolution->High
- Select your index or multiple
- Click download
Uploading imagery to FarmQA
- Open FarmQA Controller
- Make sure you have a map layer folder created for imagery and the index you selected. Do this within settings->Map Layers->Blue plus button in the bottom left-hand corner
- See this article for more details if needed
- Make sure to set the new folder to be a time-based layer
- Return to the map tab and locate the field you have downloaded imagery for. Click on the field boundary.
- Expand the "layer" section in the left hand slide-out pane, then click "add layer"
- Select the layer folder the image will be associated with, then drag and drop the KMZ into the left pane or search your file structure.
- **If you selected multiple indexes you will have to unzip your EO browser file first before uploading.
- Next make sure to manually set the correct dates associated with the upload within FarmQA. The date can be found in the file name.
- Repeat this process for any other index (NDVI for example) files that you downloaded out of EO browser.
- Finally view the layers by turning them on from the map view and setting your time range to include their dates (see below)