FarmQA is integrated with Planet for daily satellite imagery. This allows users to seamlessly get automatic imagery and NDVI data into FarmQA to be viewed in the mobile app or online. The data can be viewed relative to a users location in real time for focused scouting or historic imagery analysis. See the instructions below for more details
Setup Steps (Admins only)
- First contact Support@farmqa.com via email requesting that the Planet integration be turned on for your account.
- Login to the FarmQA Controller
- Click Settings-> Organization-> scroll to the bottom of the details section, notice the Planet integration pane (see below)
- The following information needs to be entered to complete the setup process
- Enter an API key- A unique Planet API key will be given to you from Planet with a direct subscription. Enter the key and click "verify"
- Next make the association between Planet imagery and a FarmQA Map Layer. This is done by selecting the associated map layers in the drop down list. If you do not see the correct map layer in the dropdown list then create it within the "map layer" tab at the top right before proceeding. See this article for more detail on creating map layers.
- An input for accepted cloud cover- Best practice is between 10-20% but depends on your region and how frequently you would like to receive images. This can be adjusted later on if needed.
- Selecting fields to receive imagery- Clicking the box below fields will display a list view where fields can be searched then selected. Click save once all fields are selected
- The load process may take a few minutes for FarmQA to automatically subscribe your fields to Planet.
Viewing Planet Data from FarmQA Scouting
- Open the FarmQA scouting App
- Click on Settings in the bottom right, then Layer Sync Preferences. From this screen adjust the following settings
- Days to sync- this is the number of days worth of imagery you would like to pull down to the app
- Layers to sync- click on the NDVI and Satellite layers you chose to associate to Planet data in the setup phase.
- Farms/organizations to sync- you can choose to pull down imagery for all fields or just specific farms/growers
- Clicking the back arrow will initiate a sync. This will pull the imagery into the app, this may take a few minutes, watch for the sync wheel to stop spinning to know all data is available.
- Now to view the synced imagery, locate the field from either the map view or the list view.
- After the field is selected slide up from the bottom of the screen which will display your map layers available for that field.
- Turn on whichever layer you would like to see, NDVI for example
- Next notice there is a time slider at the top of the screen which will allow you to toggle through all available images.
Viewing Planet Data from FarmQA Controller
- Open FarmQA Controller
- Locate the field of interest from the map view and click on it
- Expand the "layer" section in the left-hand slide out pane (see below)
- Toggle on the desired Planet layer, NDVI for example, and notice imagery appears overlayed on the field.
- Note, you can adjust the time range of data displayed in the bottom right-hand corner and then use the time slider at the bottom to view data overtime
Please contact FarmQA Support with any further questions